If you’ve been involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault, you are probably thinking of hiring an accident lawyer. In this article we have put together a list of 5 questions to ask accident lawyers before hiring them to represent you.
- Who will be working on my case? Your relationship with your lawyer is very important. In some larger personal injury firms, you might meet with one of the partners on your initial consultation. If you strike up a rapport with the partner, you will be happy to hire them to represent you. It can sometimes be the case that the partner will assign the case to an associate at the firm, so when you are hiring an accident lawyer, it is very important that you know exactly who will represent you. Ask the partner “will you be representing me or will it me one of your colleagues?” If the answer is that it will be someone else at the firm, then ask to meet the other person as well so you can be sure that you can build a relationship with them.
- Tell me about your track record with similar cases. You need to know if your prospective attorney has a track record of winning. You don’t want to hire a “Lionel Hutz”, you want to hire a top lawyer that can help you get the compensation you deserve. Ask your Lawyer about their win rate and get them to tell you about the cases they have won. This will help you assess whether this is the right accident lawyer for you. When you learn about your lawyers track record you will feel much more comfortable about them handling your case.
- Tell me about your experience. This is a great question to ask as you will learn about the Attorney’s Pedigree. What firm’s they worked with before their current position, who were their mentors, how many years they have worked as a lawyer and where they have practised Law. Learning about a prospective lawyers experience as a lawyer will help you build a rapport with them.
- What are your fee’s for a case like this? In most cases accident lawyers will work on a contingency basis. This means that they essentially work for free unless they win your case. In cases like this, they will take a percentage of your settlement to cover their cost of representing you. The majority of the time they will take 33.3% of the settlement. So if for example you settled a case for $10,000 they would receive $3,333.33 and you would keep $6,666.67. It’s important that you are aware of these fee’s before allowing them to represent you. It’s also important that their fees are transparent and you are happy with the structure of their fee’s, especially on a no win no fee basis.
- Tell me why you think we can win. If the accident lawyer doesn’t think you are entitled to compensation then they probably won’t take your case on a no win no fee basis. If they are offering to represent you on a contingency basis, then they will be confident that they can win compensation for you. But its good to ask them why they think they can win. This will put your mind at ease, as you will learn some of the reasons that will help you win compensation, you will also be able to see that your lawyer understands your case. By outlining some of the reasons they think they can win, you will be reassured.
These questions are a guideline only to help you ask an accident lawyer some good questions. If you are looking for great accident lawyers, then why not use our website to arrange a free consultation with a seasoned phoenix accident attorney.